Years ago we passed this sign in Chase County, Nebraska.
“Stop!” I urged, “I NEED a picture of that!”
The driver obliged, (actually I think maybe I was driving – my passengers had no choice!) and It’s been mine to chuckle at ever since.
it says. (NO kidding!)
From time to time I pass it around or Email it again to bring a smile to the people I share it with. Today, though, just today, look down the lanes of that minimum maintenance road and imagine
- The value that county road could be – but isn’t.
- The travel that could go that way – but doesn’t.
- The maintenance that could have been done – but wasn’t.
I don’t ever want my life to resemble that road.
- I want to always be well-maintained. Spiritually.
- To pray – staying in dialogue with my Lord. Unceasingly.
- To ask the forgiveness. Readily.
- Build the relationships. Intentionally.
- Keep the weeds away. Methodically.
- Prune back the overgrowth. Regularly.
- Keep the disciplines – not for discipline’s sake, but for the sake of usability.
It doesn’t take much to keep a road in that condition. (OBviously).
And it takes hardly any effort at all to be someone the Lord decides not to use.